CEC Student Awards and Scholarships
The nominations cycle for the 2014 awards is now closed.
The CEC Student Awards and Scholarships recognize outstanding student members and chapter advisors who make outstanding contributions to CEC and to exceptional children.
Please address any inquiries about the CEC Student Awards and Scholarships to Susan Simmons at email@example.com or 703-264-9435. Please note: High school students and other non-members are not eligible for these awards or scholarships.
Student award recipients receive a plaque at an awards ceremony during the CEC Annual Convention & Expo. Scholarship recipients will receive a cash award. All student award and scholarship recipients will be recognized on the CEC website. Recipients of these awards and scholarships are not required to attend the convention to receive their award or scholarship.
No student will be awarded more than one CEC award or scholarship each year. Student members on CEC’s Student Committee or the CEC Board of Directors are not eligible for the scholarships.
CEC offers the following Students Awards and Scholarships:
- Susan Phillips Gorin Award: Honors CEC professional members, especially CEC student chapter advisors, who demonstrate exemplary personal and professional qualities and make outstanding contributions to CEC and to children with exceptionalities.
- Outstanding CEC Student Member of the Year Awards: One to an undergraduate and one to a graduate CEC student member who have made outstanding contributions to CEC and to children with exceptionalities.
- CEC Undergraduate and Graduate Student Scholarships: Two $1,000 stipends—one to an undergraduate and one to a graduate CEC student member.
- Kayte M. Fearn CEC Ethnic Diversity Scholarship: A $1,000 scholarship awarded to a CEC student member from a culturally diverse background who has made outstanding contributions to CEC and to children with exceptionalities.
Congratulations to CEC's 2013 Student Award and Scholarship Recipients!
- Susan Phillips Gorin Award:
Andrea Hathcote, Assistant Professor of Special Education, Northern State University, Aberdeen, S.D.
- CEC Outstanding Undergraduate Student Member of the Year Award:
Lindsay Stump, Undergraduate Student, Special Education, East Carolina University, Greenville, N.C.
- CEC Outstanding Graduate Student Member of the Year Award:
Saba Mir, PhD Candidate, Developmental Psychology and Education, Ontario Institute for Students in Education, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
- CEC Undergraduate Student Scholarship:
Amy Clausen, Undergraduate Student, Elementary and Special Education, Morehead State University, Morehead, Ky.
- CEC Graduate Student Scholarship:
Anthony Rothfork, PhD Candidate, Curriculum and Instruction—Special Education, Northern Arizona University, Flagstaff, Ariz.
- Kayte M. Fearn CEC Ethnic Diversity Scholarship:
Olaya Landa-Vialard, EdD Candidate, Special Education, Texas Tech University, Lubbock, Texas
View the complete archive of past CEC Student Award winners.