CEC Pioneers Division (CEC-PD)
The CEC Pioneers (CEC-PD) is the official division of the Council for Exceptional Children (CEC) that works to retain and benefit from the leadership and expertise of long-term CEC members. The goals of CEC-PD include:
- Serving the general community by increasing awareness of the educational needs of children with disabilities and/or who are gifted and the services available to them.
- Serving the professional community by organizing volunteers willing to donate time, effort, and expertise to activities that promote the education and welfare of exceptional children.
- Supporting the activities, policies, and procedures of CEC and the other CEC divisions.
CEC Pioneer Activities
CEC-PD members engage in a variety of valuable volunteer activities to advance the field of special education. These include:
- Public speaking on topics that heighten awareness of the needs of special students.
- Supporting CEC's programs and activities at all levels.
- Facilitating the CEC Children and Youth Action Network (CAN).
- Supporting agencies and organizations contributing to the welfare of exceptional children and youth.
- Coordinating the selection and presentation of The Romaine Mackie Leadership Award.
- Establishing a Pioneer Award program for recognizing CEC members of long standing who have made notable contributions.
- Assisting CEC members nearing retirement with information on activities and services such as group insurance programs, travel opportunities, investments, and leisure activities.
- Publishing the Division newsletter, the Pioneers Press.
CEC/CEC-PD Mentoring Program
The CEC/CEC-Pioneers Division Mentoring Program provides CEC mentors to CEC student members in order to provide support and technical assistance during the students’ pre-service training, the student teaching experiences or graduate studies, and the time of transition from student membership to professional membership in CEC.
Now in its fifth year, the Mentoring Program has been included in the CEC Strategic Plan in the area of transitioning student members to professional CEC membership and has been placed in the CEC Program Plan and Budget. Seventeen CEC student chapters are participating in the 2011-2012 CEC/CEC-PD Mentoring Program. A total of 110 students are being mentored by 98 experienced CEC members.
The Pioneers Division has supported this program since its inception, and our members have been integral to its success. Click here for more information about the Mentoring Program, including important documents for participants.Volunteers needed! Mentors are needed to expand the CEC/CEC-PD Mentoring Program to additional CEC student chapters and student members for the 2012-2013 year. All CEC Premier, Professional, and Retired members are invited to join this program as mentors. Mentor applications are due to Pam Gillet, Mentor Coordinator (firstname.lastname@example.org), by Aug. 1, 2013.
We encourage your active participation in this program to support CEC’s student members as they prepare for their future as special educators and leaders of the Council for Exceptional Children.
Pioneers Press Newsletter
The Pioneers Press newsletter, exclusively for CEC-PD members, includes information about the division's activities, updates on CEC governance and political action issues, news about division members, plans for the division as part of the CEC Annual Convention & Expo, and announcements of events and opportunities of interest to CEC-PD members. Pioneers Press is published three times a year.
CEC Annual Convention & Expo
Each year at the CEC Annual Convention & Expo, the Pioneers sponsor a number of sessions and activities. The annual Showcase Session highlights CEC-PD members who have made outstanding contributions to the field of special education and the Council for Exceptional Children. Other sessions throughout the convention week feature topics of interest to CEC-PD members. At the annual dinner, Pioneers have the opportunity to visit with old and new friends.
CEC Pioneers Subdivisions
CEC-PD members in several states and provinces have organized subdivisions that conduct member activities of local interest. Currently, there are CEC-PD subdivisions in:
CEC-PD strongly encourages new subdivisions, and anyone interested in organizing one should contact the Coordinator of Division Services at CEC Headquarters.
CEC-PD membership is open to anyone who has been a member of CEC for twenty (20) years or more. Currently, Pioneers range in age from 40 to over 90 years!
CEC-PD membership is an exciting way to continue your involvement with and support of special education. To join, contact CEC's Customer Service Center toll free at (888) 232-7733.
2012 Officers and Committee Chairs