A subdivision is a state, province, or Canada-wide unit comprised of members of a specific international division. For example, the Virginia DEC Subdivision (often referred to as "VA DEC") is comprised of all DEC members in Virginia.
Subdivisions provide networking, professional development, and information-sharing for division members in their state or province. Typical subdivision activities include sponsoring or participating in state/provincial conferences, publishing a newsletter, political advocacy efforts, and supporting the activities of other CEC units. The activities conducted by each subdivision are determined by its members and officers.
Organizing a new subdivision is easy! You’ll need to:
- Contact CEC for the subdivision organizational kit at 888-232-7733 or e-mail email@example.com. We'll send you the kit that includes the contact information for your international division and CEC state/provincial unit.
- Contact the international division. Let them know you're interested in organizing a subdivision, and find out what requirements you'll need to meet in order to become an officially recognized subdivision. You'll also want to contact the CEC state/provincial unit to elicit their support, too. Please note that recognition of your subdivision comes from your international division – not CEC Headquarters.
Division contacts for subdivisions
- Schedule a meeting, inviting all division members and other interested persons within the state/province. The CEC state/provincial annual conference is a good time to hold this meeting, but it may be held at any time. At this meeting, appoint or elect officers and establish committees.
You'll need at least 15 members to start your subdivision. These can be both new members and renewing members. For new members, distribute the membership application for them to complete and send to CEC with their dues payment.
- Complete and submit these materials to your international division:
- Subdivision application
- Officer ID form (note that Associate members cannot serve as officers)
- Constitution and bylaws, and constitution and bylaws checklist
Note: Your division may require additional forms and materials.
That's all there is to it! Your division will notify you when your subdivision has been officially recognized.
Questions? Please contact your international division. For CEC membership information and materials, please contact CEC's Customer Service Center at 888/232-7733 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.