The Council for Exceptional Children (CEC) works to improve the educational success of children and youth with disabilities and/or gifts and talents.
- Dignity and worth of all individuals.
- Diversity and inclusiveness.
- Advocacy and social justice.
- Professional excellence, integrity, and accountability.
- Full participation in society.
- Effective individualized education.
- Family engagement.
- Collaboration and community.
- Responsibility to members.
The Council for Exceptional Children is an international community of professionals who are the voice and vision of special and gifted education. CEC's mission is to improve, through excellence and advocacy, the education and quality of life for children and youth with exceptionalities and to enhance engagement of their families.
The Council for Exceptional Children is a premier education organization, internationally renowned for its expertise and leadership, working collaboratively with strategic partners to ensure that children and youth with exceptionalities are valued and full participating members of society. As a diverse and vibrant professional community, CEC is a trusted voice in shaping education practice and policy.
Ratified April 25, 2011, by the Council for Exceptional Children Board of Directors.